Saturday, February 5, 2011

My great weekend breakfast - waffles & berries!

Weekends ~ they need a special breakfast, don't they?  Some of my favorite offerings at a Sunday Brunch buffet are the hot waffles and an abundance of fresh berries!  Because I went to Sam's Club to buy stuff for the Superbowl, I took advantage of the trip and got some great buys on berries and fresh fruit!  My fridge is now home to a heap of strawberries, black berries, blue berries and raspberries and I'm one happy camper. 
I had just said to Chuck that I didn't want to get into a dieting 'rut' - and I was noticing that some foods were just more easy to gravitate to ~like bananas and grapes~ and I was beginning to get bored with them.  That, however, is not necessary with this program...so I don't want to do it!  My typical thing lately has been a bowl of fresh fruit on the kitchen counter to encourage healthy snacking...which it has...but the pretty grapes on the top of the heap always get first attention.  Face it, they are easy to grab a couple and pop them in your mouth all day long.  The bananas are a close second because they are so easy to grab and go - and like Chuck says, you always know what you are getting with a banana (unlike some fruit that may surprise you when you bite into them - they may be sour, dry on the inside, tasteless, etc).  I don't want to get bored with the go-to fruits, though.  So today it occurred to me that I should break it up a little and rinse a few of my berries and keep them in a small open bowl in the fridge to encourage nibbling on them sometimes, too (like its soooo hard to open one of those clamshells, grab a few and rinse, right?).  I'm willing to learn to do whatever it takes to form new habits and to make this a healthy lifestyle!
Look right there between my "0" points half and half and my 1point whipped cream, and sitting on top of my homemade salsa!  Yummy!

So back to breakfast: I indulged in two wonderful Nutrigrain Whole Wheat Waffles, toasted, with handfulls of fresh, mixed berries, a couple of shots of whipped cream and 1 Tbsp of pancake syrup.  Total points plus = 6!!  Wow, did that fill me up.  So much so that right now I can't even think about what to have for lunch...so you will just have to come back to find out what we chose...

I know some of you are wondering - how did we do at our WW meeting yesterday?
Chuck was down 2.8 lbs for a total of 31 pounds in just 9 weeks on program!  Wow...and he is looking so good!!  Me?  I was down 0.8 lbs for a total of 19.6 lbs.  So we are still pushing the numbers in the right direction.

One last photo and observation pertaining to the WW Points Plus program:
These 7 deer in my back yard this morning were searching for food.  I watched for a long time as they nibbled on dry bark, branches and twigs.  I can't imagine that they feel they have near the wonderful variety of colorful, flavorful foods that we have to choose from, nor are such good things easy to find for them to eat.  Yet they look pretty healthy to me!  Goes to show you can eat just about anything and have meat on your bones...but how much better we have it that we can feast with our eyes & our tastebuds to satisfaction and maintain just enough meat on our bones.  We really have so much to be grateful for...such an abundance...no need to be bored with our daily food.  If we are, we have no one to blame but ourselves.  So next time I get feeling a little bored or that searching for points-friendly foods is difficult and time consuming...remind me of this photo, will you?  Remind me to try new things...there is so much to choose from.

Have a great day everyone!  I'm off to buy some ground chicken breast to make my Healthy and Spicy Buffalo Chicken Meatballs for tomorrow!!  Stay tuned for photos ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment