Saturday, February 26, 2011

Busy Day - Lasagna Rolls to the rescue!

I woke up without an alarm at 6:30am this morning and was really rested up!  What a change for me...so even though I prefer to sleep in a little on the weekend - today was going to be a busy day!  We had all kinds of plans all over the place, so I got up and started the day with a great pot of coffee.  Breakfast was pretty easy because I had already chopped up an onion and green pepper earlier in the week and kept it in a container in the fridge...


So I cooked a couple of Tbsp of onion/green peppers in a pan with a coating of cooking spray. After a minute or two, I poured a scrambled egg over it and cooked it through (2pp), added 1/2 peice of multi-grain toast with a light spread of butter spread (3pp), and 1/2 an orange and 1/2 a banana cut into pieces.  Total - 5pp!  Don't you just love how coffee in a Disney mug can brighten up your morning?  Especially in a huge mug like this!

Lunch today was a tarragon chicken salad wrap with some lettuce leaves.  A delicious 6pp and easy to grab and go.  I was on the run, so I didn't have the time to grab a photo, sorry!

In spite of what a full day today was, I am happy to say that I was prepared for it.  Last weekend I made the lasagna rolls that are on the Week Two Menu...but I froze them for a snowy/rainy day.  Today was that day.  Lasagna rolls are relatively easy to make, and they taste every bit as good as the real thing - only much easier to control your portions.  I have to give credit where credit is due, however - the real work was done by Gina of Skinny Taste, who worked up this recipe in the first place.  Well done, Gina!!
Let me tell you that if you have never made a lasagna roll, basically its just combining most of the filling ingredients in one large bowl, cooking noodles, spreading a measured amount of the filling onto a noodle, and then rolling it up!  You put all your rolls into a baking pan, put sauce on top, sprinkle with a little cheese, and either freeze it as is like I did, or bake it and enjoy a short while later!  These rolls were hot, gooey, and sooo satisfying.  Along with the 6pp roll, I had a 1oz slice of fresh Italian bread with butter spread (3pp) and a tossed salad with Ken's Northern Italian lite dressing (1pp)
And the best part was I had points left over to enjoy a 8oz glass of red wine (7pp)!!  I didn't take a photo of the wine - you'll just have to use your imagination, but it really completed the meal.

One more suggestion regarding lasagna rolls - if you make these, and you are a small family or just one person - you can put the individual rolls on a baking sheet without the sauce, put them in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes until the ouside of the noodle is no longer sticky. Then place the individual rolls in a freezer container or freezer bag and freeze them.  Then whenever you need a simple dinner - take out only the number of rolls you need - defrost them, pour some pasta sauce over them, sprinkle the cheese on top and bake!  If you are really the ambitious type and have the room in your freezer - you could have easy dinners ready for weeks to come. 

Be sure to visit my blog tomorrow, when I will be announcing details for my first ever give-away!  Here is a little hint:


See you back here tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment