Sunday, January 9, 2011

Taking my diet with me...

We're headed to our son Jared and daughter-in-law Katie's house this afternoon for dinner, and Kate has asked me to bring dessert: consisting of fresh fruit.  She is so sweet, and has planned a menu to support us staying on program!  She is serving a make your own taco/taco salad bar...so we can fix our plates to accommodate what points we have left for the day.  Isn't she wonderful?  So I am presenting my very first photo for this blog...
DESSERT!

This tray consists of "0" points all around - Oranges, Grapes, Kiwi, Strawberries, Blackberries, Cantaloupe, Honeydew, Blueberries, Green Grapes and a fresh pineapple...Mmmm.  I can hardly wait to dig in...I sampled everything except the kiwis...and so far the strawberries are my favorite...they are so full of flavor!

I can't forget to tell you about yesterday's challenge...Ralph and Terry (Katie's parents and our very good friends) invited about 30 of us to their home to say 'so long' to some good friends traveling to the Dominican Republic for 2 1/2 months.  So long Brian, Celine, Bella and Ethan ~ see you in a couple of months!  Terry planned an incredible turkey dinner and had friends and family bring some of the side dishes - complete with mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potato casserole with little marshmallows on top, roasted vegetables, mixed green salad with cranberries, Gorgonzola cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette , a vegetable lasagna, a huge variety of breads and rolls - I'm sure I'm missing something here...but you get the picture.  She also was such a supportive friend because she knew the points values to almost everything served and had plenty to choose from to help us all stay on program.  To my delight, I had very small "tastes" of things like the mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, etc - and a regular portion of white meat turkey, salad, and roasted veggies...it was quite a plate full of food.  When she put out the desserts, of which there were many - I found a good friend (thanks Janelle) who took half portions of both pies, and we split that - leaving about two bites of each to sample...and we split two of the cookies.  When I came home and entered everything I ate...I discovered that I only went into my weekly 49 extra points by 5!!  Sure wish I had taken photos of everything there because it was one spectacular spread!! 

I just have to finish today saying how wonderful it is to have such supportive friends and family.  I also want to express my appreciation to Renee ~ my good friend who convinced me it was time to join Weight Watchers again ~ and went with me kicking and screaming (well, almost).  We missed you last night!